- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fillet steaks
- 200 g torta de barros cheese
- 4 slices rustic bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
For the caramelised onion
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 small bay leaf
Tips and Suggestions
Torta de barros is a raw ewe's milk cheese from the Portuguese border area, handmade using thistle flower rennet, which makes it suitable for vegetarians. It has a creamy texture and a pungent, almost cider-like flavour.
1. For the caramelised onion: heat the oil in a large pan with a lid. Add the onion, sugar and bay leaf. Cover and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 hour, until the onions are deep brown.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, until they are done to your taste.
3. Season the cheese with a little salt and freshly ground pepper and sit on top of the steak in the pan. Cook until the cheese begins to melt.
4. To serve, put a spoonful of the caramelised onion on each slice of toast, put the steak on top and sprinkle with the oregano.
Rate This Recipe