- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus at least 2 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
For the strudel
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 70 g button mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small leek, roughly chopped
- 85 g ricotta cheese
- 85 g full-fat cream cheese
- 1 tomato, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 1 x 200 g packet filo pastry
- 50 g butter, melted
- freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml red wine
- 100 ml port
- 50 g butter
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms and garlic.
2. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Remove from the pan and drain well. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the leeks until softened.
3. Beat the cheeses together in a large bowl until smooth; season well. Fold in the mushrooms, leeks and tomatoes. Chill for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Lay out 1 sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface and brush with a generous amount of melted butter. Cover each with another sheet and brush again. Add a final layer to each, brushing only the edges of the pastry this time. With a sharp knife, cut three rectangles through the layered sheets.
5. Divide the chilled filling into 3 long sausage shapes and place one along the bottom edge of each of the 3 pastry rectangles. Fold the bottom edge over the filling, tuck in the sides and roll up into a tight parcel.
6. Transfer the strudels to a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes, until golden. While the strudels are cooking, make the sauce.
7. For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic and onion together over a gentle heat. Add the bay leaf and vegetable stock and cook until reduced by two thirds.
8. Add the red wine and port and continue to cook until reduced by two thirds. Strain through a sieve and bring back to the boil. Whisk in the butter and season to taste.
9. Remove the strudels from the oven and serve straight away with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe