- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr chilling
- Effort: easy
- 200 g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 175 ml chilled double cream
- 110 g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- cocoa powder
1. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering but not boiling water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water). Stir with a spatula until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time until smooth.
3. In a chilled bowl, whisk the cream until it begins to thicken. Add the 2 tablespoons sugar and the vanilla and continue whisking until the cream holds soft peaks.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy then whisk in the remaining sugar and continue whisking until stiff shiny peaks form.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, and then fold in the whipped cream. Divide the mousse between 4 individual serving dishes. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
6. Decorate with more whipped cream and cocoa powder before serving.
Rate This Recipe