- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 x 150-175 g boneless duck breast
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or clear honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
For the dipping sauce
- 450 g halved and stoned plums or damsons
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a shallow bowl, mix together the syrup, soy sauce and Chinese five-spice powder. Deeply score the duck skin and add to the marinade, turning to coat it, then set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Place the plums, cinnamon stick, wine and bay leaf in a small pan set over the coals. Simmer gently for 30 minutes until the plums are completely softened.
3. Meanwhile, cook the duck, skin-side down, first for 8-10 minutes on each side until well browned but still a little pink in the centre; set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Sieve the sauce and stir in the vinegar, plus sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into small serving bowls. Carve the duck diagonally and serve with the warm dipping sauce. It's fingerlickin' good.
Buy Ainsley's Ultimate Barbecue Bible
Rate This Recipe