- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauce
- 2 leeks, white part only, finely chopped
- 30 g butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 1 bay leaf
- grated nutmeg
- bunch dill, chopped
For the fish
- 1.5 kg firm white fish, skinned and filleted
- 300 ml milk
- 20 g butter
- 100 g prawns
For the potato topping
- 1 kg potatoes
- 125 ml milk
1. For the fish: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Put the fish into a gratin dish with the milk and the butter and bake for 15 minutes.
2. Carefully remove the fish and reserve the milk for the sauce.
3. Flake the fish into large chunks and scatter it over the base of a deep deep baking dish. Scatter the prawns evenly over the fish.
4. For the potato topping: boil the potatoes, drain and mash with the milk until smooth.
5. For the sauce: pour the reserved milk into a saucepan and add the leeks. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until soft.
6. Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the bay leaf and a good pinch of nutmeg, and gradually stir in the milk and cooked leeks until the sauce has thickened.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the dill and pour the sauce over the fish.
8. Top the pie with mashed potato and cook for 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
Rate This Recipe