- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 300 g monkfish fillets, or cod, sliced into 3cm cubed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 10 saffron strands
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cm fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ bulb of fennel, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 large tomato, roughly sliced
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 300 g selection of small seasonal fish
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 large courgette
- 2 tbsp pastis, or ouzo
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onions, chopped
For the croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 thin slices of stale baguettes
1. For the soup: In a bowl, add monkfish, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt, saffron threads and lemon juice. Combine and marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add onion and cook until soft and fragrant and then add the fennel and cook for a further two minutes.
3. Now add ginger, garlic and tomato puree, stirring for a few minutes then add in the fresh tomato, carrot and cayenne pepper. Now add the seasonal fish, 1 litre of water and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium, allowing to simmer for 20 minutes. Dont cover with lid during this process.
4. Then remove the stock from the heat and strain it using a sieve. Press all the fish bones and meat through the sieve, to extract all the flavours. Add the strained broth back into the pot, and put back on medium heat.
5. While this simmers prepare the courgette by heating a pan on medium heat, then add the remaining olive oil and the courgette and cook each side for 3 minutes or until it becomes golden. Remove it from the pan and allow to rest.
6. For the croutons: Heat a pan on medium heat, and add in olive oil. Add in slices of the baguette and cook on low heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden colour. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
7. To serve, chop up the courgette and add it to the soup along with the monkfish. Sprinkle with croutons and serve.
For more soup recipes, check out our favourite chunky soup recipes
Rate This Recipe