- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 800 g fresh haddock fillets, de-boned
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 eggs
- 225 g mushrooms, sliced
- 400 g plum tomatoes
- fried bread, to serve
For the white sauce
- 225 g grated parmesan
1. Put the milk in a shallow dish and the breadcrumbs in another. Dip the haddock fillets first in the milk and then in the breadcrumbs.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish on both sides until crisp.
3. Peel the skin off the fried fillets and discard. Set the fish to one side and keep warm.
4. Hard boil the eggs for 8 minutes and then run under cold water for a minute before peeling off their shells. Cut the eggs into quarters.
5. Layer up the haddock fillets, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes in a large oven-proof dish.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C
7. For the white sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring. Start adding the milk, bit by bit, taking it off the heat and stirring hard after each addition. Cook until the sauce is the consistency of double cream. Add the parmesan and season with salt and lots of black pepper.
8. Pour the white sauce over the top of the dish and put it into the oven to heat through.
9. Serve with triangles of fried bread.
Rate This Recipe