- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour marinading time
- Effort: easy
For the marinade:
- a walnut sized piece of achiote achiote, see cooks tips
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the fish:
- 500 g cod fillets, skinned and boned
- olive oil, for frying
For the chilli mayonnaise:
- 100 ml mayonnaise
- 1 ancho chilli, seeds removed, toasted and soaked
- 1 chipotle chilli
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 small white cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 limes, quartered
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- guacamole, to serve
- salsa, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Get authentic mexican ingredients such as achiote, corn tortillas and dried chillis on websites like mexgrocer.co.uk.
How to assemble the tacos: Lay down a warm corn tortilla, add a piece or two of fried fish on top then add a heaped tablespoon of shredded cabbage, add a heaped tablespoon of tomato salsa, add a heaped tablespoon of guacamole, add a tablespoon of chilli mayonnaise sauce. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with a segment of lime.
1. For the marinade: Mix the achiote, cumin, allspice, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1 teapsoon salt together.
2. For the fish: Baste the fish with the marinade and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
3. For the chilli mayonnaise: Mix the mayonnaise with the ancho pepper and chipotle chilli.
4. After marinading, slice the fish across the filet into 1 cm lengths and fry the segments of cod in the olive oil until slightly golden but still tender, normally for about 4 minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat the corn tortillas in the microwave or in a frying pan until warm.
6. To serve: Put the corn tortillas, cabbage and the chilli mayonnaise sauce in separate bowls and serve the fish on a separate plate to let your guests construct their own tacos.
Want to see more? Take a look at lots more of our Mexican recipes.
Rate This Recipe