- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp pine kernels
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp tequila
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- dashes of hot chilli sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300 ml chicken stock
- black pepper
- snipped chives, to garnish
- steamed basmati rice, to serve
1. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pine nuts for 2-3 minutes until golden, remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a large, heavy-based pan with a lid. Add the chicken and cook over a moderate heat for about 6 minutes, turning once. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons of the tequila, set the mixture alight and carefully flambé. Stir in the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, and add a dash of hot chilli sauce. Stir in the paprika and sugar and cook for a few minutes.
4. Pour in the stock and return the chicken to the pan, then cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the chicken is tender and the sauce has slightly reduced.
5. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of tequila and heat through for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter over the pine nuts and a sprinkling of chives, and serve with basmati rice.
Rate This Recipe