- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 20 mins churning
- Effort: medium
Ugli ice cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 175 g caster sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 ugli fruit
- grated zest and juice of 1 limes
- 284 ml carton double cream
For the rum flambeed bananas:
- juice of 1 ugli fruit
- juice of 1 limes
- 4 tbsp dark rum
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 25 g butter
- 6 bananas
- 6 sprigs mint, to garnish
1. First make the ugli ice cream. Cream together the yolks with 100g of the caster sugar and the ugli and lime zest until the yolk mixture is thick and creamy.
2. Strain the ugli and lime juice into a small pan. Heat gently until warm. Whisking as you do so, add the warm juice to the yolk mixture and whisk well until incorporated.
3. Whisk the double cream until soft peaks form. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in half the remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition. Using a metal spoon fold in the remaining sugar.
4. Using a metal spoon fold together the yolk mixture, whipped cream and beaten egg white.
5. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and churn until frozen, around 20 minutes.
6. While the ice cream is churning make the bananas.
7. In a small pan gently heat together the ugli fruit juice, lime juice, rum and sugar until the sugar has melted.
8. Heat the butter in a large heavy frying pan. Fry the bananas until browned on all sides, turning over gently.
9. Pour the rum sauce into the bananas and cook gently until thickened.
10. Serve the warm bananas with scoops of the ugli ice cream, garnished with mint sprigs.
Rate This Recipe