- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 1 x 100 g venison fillets
- 350 ml red wine
- 1 juniper berry
- sprigs rosemary
- sprigs thyme
- 1 large shallot
- 1 beetroot
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
1. Marinate the venison in the wine, and add the juniper berry, herbs and shallot. Leave overnight to give the meat a chance to tenderise and take on extra flavour.
2. Take half the beetroot, half a carrot and half the potato, and using a turning knife, shape into small barrels.
3. Using a Parisienne scooper, scoop out small balls from the remainder of the beetroot, potato and carrot.
4. Tip the trimmings into a small saucepan and pour in around 100ml water. Cook until soft, before pureeing in a food processor. Set aside.
5. Boil the vegetable barrels and balls in separate pans, until tender. Drain and reserve.
6. Place a griddle over a medium heat, and sear the venison for 1-2 minutes on each side. Cook for a minute longer, if you like your meat more well-cooked. Leave in a warm place to rest for 10 minutes.
7. In the same pan, pour in the wine marinade and cook-down until syrupy.
8. Serve the steak with the vegetables and drizzle any juices on top
Rate This Recipe