- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr resting
- Effort: easy
- 15 g fresh yeast or 7g dried yeast
- 1-3 tbsp warm water, plus extra water as required
- 500 g strong bread flour, (preferably organic), plus extra for flouring
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling and to serve
- 1 sprinkle sea salt, to serve
1. Crumble the fresh yeast into a small bowl (or tip in the dried yeast if using) and whisk in the warm water.
2. Sift the flour into a separate bowl, add the salt, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture.
3. Add the oil and enough water to make a soft dough (about 250-300ml should be sufficient). Kneed with your hands until the dough is smooth. Put it into a lightly oiled bowl, covered, to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. When risen, remove the dough from the bowl and knead again for a minute. You can leave the dough it in the fridge until required.
5. When you are ready to cook the flatbread, rip the dough into eight pieces and roll into discs.
6. Leave the pieces on a lightly floured baking tray to prove for 5 minutes.
7. Heat a large frying pan or chargrill pan to a medium heat and dry fry each piece for 2 minutes each side, or until browned on both sides.
8. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with salt, to serve.
Rate This Recipe