- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 litres milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 12 egg yolks
- 750 g caster sugar
- almond essence, a few drops
- 150 g blanched flaked almonds
- 500 ml water
- 8 egg whites
1. For the custard; bring 1 litre of the milk into a saucepan, add the split vanilla pod, and bring to the boil before setting aside.
2. Beat the egg yolks with 250g of the sugar until thick and creamy. Pour the milk onto the egg mixture and return to a low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens. Add a few drops of almond essence to flavour.
3. Preheat a grill, and toast the flaked almonds until golden brown.
4. Pour the remaining milk and water into a pan and add 50g of the measured sugar. Bring the liquid to a simmer - this will be the poaching liquor.
5. For the meringues; whisk the egg whites until it resembles soft peaks. Gradually whisk in 225g sugar and continue whisking until firm. Using 2 tablespoons, shape the egg whites into 6-8 dumplings, dipping your spoons into water every time you place them into the simmering liquor. Cook for 2 minutes before flipping them over and poaching for a further 2 minutes.
6. Pour the warm custard into a bowl and place the meringues on top, Sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
7. Caramelise the remaining sugar in a small saucepan and drizzle over the top before serving.
Rate This Recipe