- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 125 ml Florida pink grapefruit juice
- 1 small bunch basil
- 250 ml double cream
- 9 eggs
- 390 g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 110C/gas mark 1/4. Butter 10 x 6cm round tartlet cases.
2. Line the tartlet cases with shortcrust pastry (see Rachel Allen's recipe for shortcrust pastry here). Blind bake for 12 minutes, then remove the baking beans and bake for a further 5 minutes, until the pastry is lightly golden.
3. Boil the Florida pink grapefruit juice, add the cream and bring back to the boil.
4. Mix the sugar with the eggs, then carefully pour the boiling mixture over the eggs and stir. Chill the mixture.
5. When cold, blend the basil with the custard mixture using a hand blender. Pass the mixture through a fine chinois.
6. Place the tartlet cases on a baking tray and carefully pour the mixture into the tartlet cases. Place in the oven. Place a wooden spoon inside the closed oven door to allow a small gap. Bake for 20-25 minutes until there is a slight wobble to the custard.
7. Remove from the oven and cool the tartlets on a rack.
Rate This Recipe