- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- flounder bones
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery
- bunch of thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 600 ml water
- 4 flounder fillets
- 3 limes, each cut into 8 pieces
- 80 ml white wine
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 150 g oyster mushrooms
For the marinade:
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- juice of 1 limes
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- 120 g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- pinch of strands saffron
- pinch of caster sugar
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Soak the wooden skewers in cold water.
2. Chop the flounder bones into three pieces and put them in a pan with the carrot, celery, half the thyme, bay leaves and two of the garlic cloves. Pour over the water bring to a boil, skim and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Lay one of the fillets down with the thin end closest to you. Season each fillet; place a sprig of thyme and a small wedge of lime at the near end. Roll up the fillet and secure with a skewer. Do the same with the others, having 2 rolls on each skewer.
4. Place the fish into an ovenproof dish, strain the hot stock onto them and pour over the white wine. Cover with foil and cook for 10-15 minutes in the oven.
5. Melt 50g of the butter in a frying pan over a moderate heat and gently fry the mushrooms, together with the remaining garlic.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the marinade: mix the chilli and spring onions together in a small bowl with the lime juice and olive oil. Season to taste.
7. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and toss well in the marinade, but leave the pan on the heat.
8. Tip the tomatoes into the pan the mushrooms were cooked in and gently fry for one minute.
9. Take the flounder out of the oven, and tip the hot liquid on top of the tomatoes, adding the saffron immediately. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Bubble the sauce to reduce.
10. Whilst the sauce is reducing, put the flounder on the plate, and scatter the mushrooms around with some of the marinade.
11. Lastly use a slotted spoon to put the exploded tomatoes on the plate and stir the remaining butter into the sauce before lightly spooning it over the whole dish.
12. Serve with a piece of lime.
Rate This Recipe