- Serves: Makes 12 tortillas
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g plain flour, sieved
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinches salt
- 100 g lard
- 120 ml warm water
1. Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, rub in the lard.
2. Add the water in a steady stream, and combine, until the mixture becomes a stiff but pliable dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Divide the dough into 12 equal sized pieces and roll each piece out to form a 30cm circle. Cover with cling film to prevent them drying out.
5. Warm a heavy frying pan or griddle and cook each tortilla for 1 minute on each side, until the surface bubbles and has turned a light golden colour.
6. Wrap the tortillas in a clean tea towel to keep them warm and pliable until you have cooked them all and are ready to use them. Fill as desired.
Rate This Recipe