- Serves: 4 people at a cocktail party
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 4 hrs rising
- Effort: medium
For the tapenade
- 100 g pitted black olives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 20 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
For the fougasse
- 500 g plain flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 40 ml olive oil
- 280 ml water, approximate quantity
1. For the tapenade, place all the ingredients in an electric blender and process until smooth.
2. To make the fougasse, mix 200g of the flour with the yeast and 180ml of the water. Beat this mixture for 3 minutes, until the yeast dissolves completely and leave to rise for 3 hours.
3. Add the remaining flour, salt, oil and enough water to make a smooth dough. Knead until springy - about 5 minutes. Leave to rise again for another 30 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into two balls and roll each into a circle, about 1cm thick. Place one circle onto a greaseproof paper-lined baking tray, and spread with the tapenade. Top with the remaining circle.
5. With a sharp knife, cut slashes across the bread. Brush with olive oil and leave to rise for a final 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 210C/Gas 7 and bake for 25 minutes, until risen and golden. Serve warm, cut into wedges.
Rate This Recipe