- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 15 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 75 g basmati rice
- 2 litres milk
- 6 green cardamom, crushed
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 25 g date jaggery or palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 handfuls flaked almonds
Tips and Suggestions
Try using a lower fat milk such as 1% fat or skimmed milk. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
1. Wash the rice and soak in water for 10 - 15 minutes, then drain into a sieve. Boil the milk in a large heavy-based saucepan and stir in the rice and cardamom pods.
2. Simmer for 3-4 hours on a low heat until the milk is reduced by half, stirring occasionally to avoid the rice sticking to bottom of pan.
3. Once thickened, stir in the sugar, jaggery and nutmeg. Spoon into bowls, decorate with sliced almonds and serve either hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe