- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 15 g star anise
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 90 ml water
- 500 g watermelon
- sparkling water, to top up
1. Roughly crush the star anise using a pestle and mortar, and tip into a small pan along with the sugar and water. Dissolve the sugar in the water, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the star anise to steep in the syrup for 10 minutes.
3. Remove and discard the rind from the watermelon and cut the flesh into chunks. Put the watermelon through a juicer.
5. Strain the anise syrup through a fine sieve and use to sweeten the the melon juice. Stir well to combine the flavours.
6. Fill 2 glasses, two-thirds full with the juice, and top up with sparkling water.
Rate This Recipe