- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus overnight infusing for the soup
- Effort: easy
For the soup
- 1.2 kg red onions, thinly sliced
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 100 ml veal stock
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- cracked freshly ground white pepper, to taste
For the cheese croutons
- 6 slices bread, cut from a baguette
- 60 ml garlic oil
- 180 g gruyère cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onions for about 6-8 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes or so, until the onions are caramelised.
3. Add the veal and chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes, until reduced.
4. Stir in the vegetable and meat stocks and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove from the heat and cool rapidly in an ice bath. Leave overnight in the fridge to infuse.
6. When you are ready to serve the soup, reheat the soup for 5-8 minutes, over a medium heat.
7. Meanwhile, toast the baguette slices. Brush with garlic oil and top with cheese. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
8. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the cheese croutons and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe