- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g butter
- 675 g onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 litres brown chicken or beef stock
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 small baguette, cut into slices
- 100 g Carrigaline cheese, waxed removed and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onions and sugar. Cook the onions over a very low heat for about 15 minutes until well softened and golden brown, stirring occasionally so the onions do not stick as they caramelise.
2. Stir the flour into the onion mixture and cook over a very low heat for another 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Gradually pour in the stock and add the vinegar, stirring to prevent any lumps forming. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the onions are meltingly tender and the soup has thickened, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Arrange the baguette slices on the grill rack and toast on both sides. arrange the cheese on top and cook for another 1-2 minutes until bubbling and melted. Sprinkle the parsley over.
4. To serve, ladle the soup into warmed serving bowls and arrange the bubbling cheese toasts on top.
Rate This Recipe