- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: plus cooling
- Effort: medium
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe will make more pickle than you need for the summer rolls, but it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy it in other recipes such as Vietnamese chicken salad or on its own.
Perilla is a herb commonly used in Asian cooking, it has a leaf that looks a little similar to a nettle and a flavour somewhere between mint and basil.
1. For the carrot and mooli pickle: place the rice vinegar, sugar and 330ml water into a pan and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. Julienne the carrot and the mooli to matchstick thickness. Place together in a sieve and mix.
3. Sprinkle with half a teaspoon of salt and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes. This will draw some of the liquid out of the vegetables. Place the sieve over a bowl to catch and drips.
4. Rinse the vegetables under cold water to remove the salt and squeeze dry in a clean towel.
5. Place in a clean bowl and pour over the vinegar solution and allow to stand for at least one hour before serving.
6. To serve remove pickled vegetables from the vinegar.
7. For the summer rolls: Put a clean tea towel on your work surface to roll on.
8. Dip the rice paper in warm water to soften. Then place on the tea towel.
9. Put the mint leaves in a line across the lower third of the rice paper.
10. Lay the prawns in a line across the centre of the rice paper leaving sufficient space at each end to fold in.
11. Place the other ingredients on top and then fold in the ends and roll away from you.
12. Store chilled under damp clean tea towel.
13. Serve whole or sliced in 2 with nuoc cham dipping sauce .
Recipe and image supplied by Pho
Rate This Recipe