- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the choux
- 300 ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 50 g butter
- 100 g flour
- 1 lemon, zested
- 25 g freshly grated parmesan
- small handful basil, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
For the anchovies
- 24 fresh anchovies, gutted and cleaned, head removed
- 50 g flour
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 lemons, halved
- basil leaves
1. For the choux: pre-heat oil in a tall saucepan to 190°C. Add 270 ml water and the butter to a separate saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring up to heat. When the butter has melted and just before it boils add the flour and beat in with a wooden spoon. Its ready when it leaves the sides of the pan.
2. Add lemon zest, parmesan and basil. Season with salt and pepper then add the eggs bit by bit whisking to combine. Finally add the paprika.
3. Deep fry spoonfuls of the choux pastry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
4. For the anchovies: dust the anchovies in flour then deep fry for 2 minutes.
5. Place the sliced tomato on a serving plate, season and drizzle with oil.
6. Place the anchovies and choux buns on top and garnish with basil.
Rate This Recipe