- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g apples
- 4 tbsp water
- 75 g brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 225 g puff pastry
- vegetable oil, for frying
1. Put the apples into a pan with the water, sugar, cloves, citrus zests and caraway seeds and simmer very gently for about 20 minutes.
2. Leave to cool and then remove the cloves. Stir in the rosewater.
3. Roll out the pastry and divide into 12 squares, each measuring 7.5cm.
4. Place equal amounts of apple mixture into the centre of each pastry square and then fold over the corners to form a triangle.
5. Using the prongs of a fork, press the pastry edges firmly to seal well in order to prevent any filling oozing out.
6. Fill a large saucepan 1/3 full with vegetable oil and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot enough to sizzle a cube of bread quite quickly, the oil has reached the correct temperature.
7. Fry the pies, two at a time, until crisp and golden on both sides.
8. Drain well and serve hot with cream or ice cream.
Rate This Recipe