- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling and standing times
- Effort: easy
For the fried chicken
- 1.7 kg oven-ready chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano, (optional)
- 500 ml sunflower or groundnut oil, for frying
For the waffles
- 50 g butter
- sunflower oil, for greasing
- 150 g plain flour
- 3 level tbsp cornflour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tbsp golden caster or white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 225 ml semi-skimmed milk
- maple syrup, to serve
- butter, to serve (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
If you are only cooking for 2-3 people, halve the ingredients, except the oil and fry the chicken for a total of 15-18 minutes at a slightly lower temp instead of baking.
Placing the chicken on a rack in the oven will help it remain crisp all over.
Keep an eye on the temperature of the oil at all times. If it drops below 160C, the chicken wont be as crisp.
If you have a waffle iron you will need to adapt the cooking times.
Dont open the waffle maker too early or the waffles could tear. The amount of steam rising from the machine will drop to almost nothing once they are cooked.
1. For the fried chicken: Put the chicken in a bowl or shallow dish and pour over the buttermilk and Worcestershire sauce. Toss the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, cover the dish with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours before cooking.
2. When you are ready to cook, put the plain flour in a large, shallow dish. Add the salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and oregano if using. Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.
3. Pour the oil into a large saucepan or deep frying pan and set over a medium high heat. Place a thermometer in the oil and heat to 180C/350F. (Do not allow the oil to overheat. Do not leave hot oil unattended.) Alternatively, heat the oil in a deep fat fryer.
4. Take one piece of the chicken with tongs and shake lightly to remove any excess buttermilk. Drop the chicken into the flour. Turn until the chicken is nicely coated in the spiced flour. Remove with tongs and put on a plate. Do the same thing with another 3 pieces of chicken.
5. When the oil has reached the right temperature, very carefully add the chicken pieces using tongs and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
6. Take the cooked chicken out of the pan with clean tongs and put on a baking tray lined with kitchen roll to drain. Scoop out any stray pieces of batter from the oil with a slotted spoon.
7. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Prepare and cook the second batch of chicken in the same way as the first. Allowing the oil to return to the right temperature between batches will help ensure your chicken is light and crisp.
8. As soon as all the chicken pieces are fried and have drained, transfer to a rack and put on a baking tray.
9. Bake the chicken in the oven for a further 15 minutes or until cooked throughout. While the chicken is baking, make the waffles.
10. For the waffles: Put the butter in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Preheat the waffle maker to almost its highest setting, greasing with a little oil according to the manufacturers instructions.
11. Mix the flour, cornflour, baking powder, sugar and a good pinch of fine salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg with the milk and melted butter in a jug with a metal whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk the milk and egg mixture into the flour until just combined.
12. Pour into the jug and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
13. Pour just enough of the batter into the waffle maker to fill each plate and quickly smooth the surface with a round-bladed knife or spatula. Close the lid and cook the waffles for 4-5 minutes or until well risen, crisp and golden brown.
14. Lift carefully out of the waffle maker with tongs and keep warm while the remaining waffles are cooked.
15. Drain the chicken well once its out of the oven on more kitchen roll and serve hot with the waffles, maple syrup and a knob of butter too if you like.
Rate This Recipe