- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g herrings
- 25 g plain flour
- 25 g butter
- 2 slices toast
- 6 small gherkins, finely sliced
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Anchovy and rosemary butter
- 12 salted anchovy fillets, with their oil
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked
- 450 g unsalted butter, softened
1. First, prepare the anchovy and rosemary buyer. Put the anchovies, garlic and rosemary leaves into a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Stir the anchovy mixture into the softened butter.
3. Lightly coat the roes in the flour.
4. Heat the butter in a frying pan, add in the roes and fry gently for 3-4 minutes until golden.
5. Spread the toast with 25g of the anchovy and rosemary butter (chilling or freezing the remainder for future use) and lay the gherkins on top.
6. Add a good squeeze of lemon juice to the herring roes, sprinkle with the parsley, then lay the roes on top of the toast and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe