- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 20-30 minutes setting
- Effort: easy
- 1 litres hot vegetable stock
- 200 g quick-cook polenta
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, for dusting
- 1 avocado, stone removed, chopped into chunks
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella, cut into chunks
- 12 olives, stones removed, halved
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 small handful rocket
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
1. Heat the stock in a pan over a medium heat, then add the polenta and the herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook, stirring continuously, for 4-5 minutes or until thick and creamy.
2. Spoon the polenta mixture into a greased tin about 1cm/½in deep and set aside to cool until set. Cut into four squares and dust each piece lightly in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the polenta cakes for 2-3 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown and crisp all over. Set aside to rest on a warm plate.
4. Mix the avocado, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olives together in a bowl and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with some olive oil and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. To serve, divide the polenta cakes between two plates and top with the avocado, tomato, mozzarella and olive salad. Top with the rocket. Whisk the crème fraiche until thickened, then form into quenelles and serve alongside the polenta cakes.
Rate This Recipe