- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: medium
- 2 small lamb's brains
- 1 sweetbread
- small handful of sage
- 85 g self-raising flour, plus extra for coating
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300ml iced water
- 3 eggs, whites
- groundnut oil, for deep-frying
For the salsa verde:
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp capers
- 4 tinned anchovies
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- bunch of flat leaf parsley, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped
- bunch of mint, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 8 tbsp olive oil
1. Thoroughly rinse the brains and the sweetbread under cold running water. Cut away any discoloured parts. Soak in cold water for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Put the mustard, capers, anchovy fillets, vinegar and garlic in a blender and whiz to a paste. Add the parsley and mint, and whiz again until smooth. Then pour in the olive oil and blend until thick. Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
3. Drain the brains and sweetbread. Put in a saucepan with the sage and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and poach for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and leave to cool. Discard the sage.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, lemon juice and water, and mix to a smooth batter.
5. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold into the batter using a metal spoon.
6. Heat enough oil for deep-frying to 175°C, or until a cube of bread browns in 1 minute.
7. Slice the brains and sweetbread. Coat with flour and dip in the batter. Deep-fry a few slices at a time for about 3 minutes until crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with the salsa verde.
Rate This Recipe