- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 500 g fruit loaf, crusts removed
- 25 g mixed peel
- 50 g sultanas
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed
For the custard
- 12 egg yolks
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 450 ml milk
- 450 ml whipping cream
1. Well-butter a heatproof dish, about 25.5 x 23cm and 7.5cm deep.
2. Begin by slicing the fruit loaf into at least 8 slices of the same thickness as the bread. Butter all the slices.
3. Arrange a layer of the fruit loaf, with slices side by side, on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with half the mixed peel and sultanas, then add a layer of white bread slices, followed by the remaining mixed peel and sultanas. Then add a final layer of fruit loaf. Set aside while you make the custard.
4. For the custard: whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until well combined. Cut the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds, then place these in a saucepan with the milk and cream. Bring to the boil.
5. Pour the hot milk and cream over the egg yolks and sugar, whisk thoroughly and pass through a sieve into a jug. Skim off any excess bubbles from the surface to avoid them gathering on the surface of the pudding during cooking. Then, 20 minutes before cooking, pour the custard over the layers of bread and leave to soak.
6. While it is soaking, preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
7. Place the pudding in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until it is just set and brown on top (the middle should still be a little runny). Remove from the oven and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe