- Serves: makes 16
- Cook Time: 2.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
To prepare the beans:
- 300 g dried haricot beans, soaked ovenight
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 4 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
For the beans:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 300 g chorizo, cubed
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 300 g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the rest of the toasts:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices serrano ham
- 4 slices sourdough, griddled and cut into 4 pieces
- 16 quail's eggs
1. To prepare the beans: Drain the beans and put them in a pan with a litre of water, bring them to a boil, skim off the scum, add the whole garlic bulb, onion halves, cloves and bay.
2. Cover and leave to simmer gently for 1 hour 30 minutes until tender. Drain and discard the onion, garlic, bay and cloves.
3. For the beans: Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan, add the garlic and the onion and fry gently until golden and soft. Add the chorizo and continue to cook for 3 minutes until the chorizo starts to release its oil and starts to crisp. Stir in the beans followed by the stock.
4. Simmer gently for 20 minutes until the beans are softened and flavoured with the chorizo. Stir in the tomatoes. Set aside and keep warm.
5. For the rest of the toasts: In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the serrano ham in batches until crisp set aside and keep warm.
6. In the same pan adding more oil if needed, fry the eggs, so they are crispy and lacy.
7. Place the toasted bread on a serving plate, spoon over some of the beans, top with a fried egg and the crispy ham broken into shards.
Recipe from Jose Pizarro for Codorniu Wines.
Love this? See lots more tapas recipes.
Rate This Recipe