- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 large potatoes, halved
- 200 g mix of cavolo nero and kale, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
For the gammon
- olive oil
- knob of butter
- 2 gammon steaks, medium thickness
- 150 ml medium dry sherry
- 2 duck eggs
1. Cook the potatoes in salted water, adding the chopped cavolo nero and kale 3-4 mins before they are tender. Drain thoroughly and lightly crush the potatoes. Leave on one side.
2. Heat the olive oil in a sturdy frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onions until golden, stir in the thyme, butter and mustard and then add the greens and potatoes - cook over a low heat until the base is golden. Flip the mixture over and continue cooking until coloured. About 10-15 mins.
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan, add the sherry and cook the gammon steaks for about 3-4 mins on both sides until tender. Transfer to a plate and leave on one side.
4. Crack the duck eggs into the same pan and fry until the white is set and the yolk still soft.
5. To serve, spoon the bubble and squeak onto two plates, top with the gammon and finish with a fried egg over each steak.
For quality ingredients look for a quality mark. Red Tractor beef and lamb is responsibly produced and provenance guaranteed.
Red Tractor beef and lamb: its a Good Food Story.
Rate This Recipe