- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- vegetable oil, for brushing and coating
- 2 thin gammon steaks, each about 225g
- 600 g golden sweet potatoes, peeled
- black pepper
- 2 small red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- handfuls thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices, reserving the juice
For the sauce:
- 45 g curry paste
- 400 ml tinned coconut milk
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 75 g okra, blanched
- handfuls chopped coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6 and a griddle pan. Lightly oil the gammon and griddle for a couple of minutes on each side
2. Cut the sweet potato into big bite-sized chunks and put in a roasting pan with a good covering of oil. Season well, give them a good shake or stir, add the chilli, thyme and garlic and roast for about 30 minutes in the oven until the sweet potato is soft (it's worth giving them the odd stir while they're roasting).
3. Meanwhile, brush each of the pineapple slices with oil and place on the still hot griddle pan for a couple of minutes on each side until they have those lovely black lines on them. When they've all been marked, put them in an ovenproof dish with their juice.
4. When you're ready to serve, just pop the dish of pineapples in the oven for a few minutes to warm through.
5 To make the sauce: Cook the curry paste in a dry heavy-based saucepan for a few minutes to release its flavour, then add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Add the stock and cook for 5 minutes
6. Heat some more oil in a frying pan and add the onion, cook until it starts to brown. Add the peppers followed by the sweet potato. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until the sweet potato starts to break down.
7. Spoon in some of the curry sauce to bind the mix and add the okra and coriander. Cook, stirring, for another couple of minutes
8. To serve: Put a piece of pineapple on each plate, then spoon a quarter of the sweet potato mix on each plate with the gammon (if you've got them, use a presentation ring to make it neater). Sit another piece of pineapple on top and drizzle some of the curry sauce around the edge
Rate This Recipe