- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 garden eggs - egg-sized aubergines
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shelled scallops
- 1 handful of fresh mint, torn
For the salsa agrodolce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tinned anchovies
- juice of 1 oranges
- 25 g dark chocolate
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 50 g toasted almonds
- 225 ml water
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
1. First make the salsa. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the breacrumbs until just golden.
2. Using a pestle and mortar pound the anchovy, then mix in the orange juice.
3. In a saucepan place the breadcrumbs, anchovy mixture, chocolate, sugar, almonds and water.
4. Bring the mixture to the boil and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix in the vinegar and remaining olive oil.
6. Sprinkle the garden egg (aubergine) slices with salt, then pat dry with kitchen paper.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the garden egg slices until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
8. Mix together the fried aubergine and mint. Toss with remaining olive oil. Place on a serving plate.
9. Meanwhile, heat a lightly oiled griddle until hot. Season the scallops with salt and freshly ground pepper. Griddle the scallops until seared on both sides.
10. Top the garden eggs with the seared scallops, drizzle over the salsa and serve.
Rate This Recipe