- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the dressing
- 200 ml water
- 50 g caster sugar
- 70 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
For the salad
- 1 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into strips, blanched
- 1 small courgette, sliced into strips, blanched
- 50 g peas, out of their pods, blanched
- 100 g broad beans, out of their pods, blanched
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g squid, cleaned, sliced into rings
- 1 bunches fresh basil, torn
- 3 bunches spring onions
- 50 g dandelion leaves
- 5 g wild chervil, (or wild fennel), chopped
1. For the dressing: combine all the pickling liquid ingredients together, except for the mustard seeds, in a non-reactive pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
2. Transfer the liquid to a food processor and add the mustard seeds. Blend together, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. For the salad: place all of the vegetables together in a bowl and mix well.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Season the squid rings with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then fry for 2-3 minutes, or until nearly cooked through. Add the vegetables to the pan and toss well to mix, then add the basil, spring onions and dandelion leaves and stir through the dressing.
5. To serve, pile the squid salad onto serving plates and garnish with the chopped chervil.
Rate This Recipe