- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 chicken, around 2.25kg
- olive oil
- grated zest and juice of 1 large lemons
- 2 tbsp white wine
- A large sprig of thyme
- 4 whole head garlic
- black pepper
For the cheese and leek scone bread:
- 55 g butter
- 1 large leek, sliced
- a large handful of chopped parsley
- a small bunch of thyme, chopped
- 75 g mature English cheddar cheese
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- black pepper
- milk, to mix
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper, olive oil and lemon zest.
3. Place the chicken in a large casserole dish and pour over the lemon juice and white wine.
4. Separate the garlic bulbs into cloves, leaving the skin on, and tuck the cloves and thyme sprigs into the chicken.
5. Pour over more olive oil, cover and cook for 3 hours.
6. To make the cheese and leek scone bread, melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, add the leeks and fry very gently, stirring now and then, for 10 minutes.
7. Mix the parsley and thyme into the fried leek and set aside to cool.
8. In a bowl, combine the cheese, flour, leek and herb mixture, mustard and egg, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and add enough milk to form a dough.
9. Press the dough into a round on a greased baking sheet, then partially cut into eighths.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C/gas 5 for 45 minutes.
11. To serve, place the chicken on a chopping board, squeeze the garlic cloves out of their husks and mop up the juices with the warm cheese and leek scone bread.
Rate This Recipe