- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 butternut squash, or other dense, sweet-fleshed squash
- 8 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 8 tsp olive oil
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 240°C/gas 9.
2. Slice each squash in half from stem to base. Scoop the seeds out with a spoon and lay the squash on a baking sheet, skin side down.
3. Place two whole cloves of garlic in each squash cavity. In each half, pour two teaspoons of olive oil over the garlic and, using a pastry brush, paint the oil all over the surface of the flesh. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until tender and lightly browned around the edges. The flesh around the cavity will have taken on a delicate garlic flavour. The garlic itself will be soft and mild. Eat the garlic as it is or mash with a pinch of coarse salt and spread on bread.
Rate This Recipe