- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 125 g pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 125 g parmigiano reggiano, cut into chunks
- 125 g parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated
- 250 g breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Boil potatoes until fork tender and let cool.
2. Heat up half the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the pancetta and onions. Cook until onions are golden in colour and pancetta is crisp.
3. In a mixing bowl, mash the potatoes. For a creamier texture, use a potato ricer. Add an egg, the cooked onions and pancetta, all the cheeses and salt and black pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Grease a baking dish with the remaining olive oil and add half the breadcrumbs to the base of the dish and set aside.
5. Transfer the potato mixture to a baking dish and evenly spread over a pan, packing the mixture so it serves as a solid bed. Add the remaining breadcrumbs on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Rate This Recipe