- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus chilling overnight
- Effort: medium
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g caster sugar
For the filling
- 2 egg whites
- 115 g icing sugar
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g good dark chocolate
- toasted almonds
1. For the meringue: preheat the oven to 100C/gas ¼. Cover 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, then fold in the rest. Spread the meringue mixture into 4 discs about 6mm thick - 2 on each baking sheet.
3. Cook until crisp - about 1½ to 2 hours. Turn them over and put back in the oven to dry out, for about 10 minutes with the oven door ajar.
4. For the filling: whip the egg whites with the icing sugar in a pan over a gentle heat until thick. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. Cream the butter in a bowl until pale. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, than let it cool. Beat the egg white mixture into the butter then stir in the melted chocolate.
6. Use some of the chocolate cream to sandwich the meringues one disc above the other. Spread the rest up the sides and top and cover with toasted almonds.
7. Chill in the fridge and serve the next day.
Rate This Recipe