- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 200 g puff pastry
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 ml whipping or double cream, whipped
- 150 g crème patissière
- Grand Marnier, optional
For the choux pastry:
- 125 ml water
- 125 ml milk
- 100 g butter, cut into chunks
- 150 g plain flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
1. First make the choux pastry. In a saucepan heat the water and milk together to boiling point.
2. Add the butter, a piece at a time, and stir until melted.
3. Remove the pan from direct heat and whisk in the flour.
4. Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the dough stops sticking to the side of the pan.
5. Remove the pan from direct heat and beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing each egg in thoroughly. Set aside and cover with cling film.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
7. Roll out the puff pastry finely. Cut out a pastry disc 25cm in diameter. Use a fork to make a hole in the centre of the disc.
8. Place the pastry disc on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
9. Using a piping bag with a smooth nozzle, pipe little crowns of choux pastry around the edge of the disc and a choux pastry spiral in the centre.
10. On a separate lined baking sheet pipe the remaining choux pastry to make a batch of 5cm profiteroles.
11. Bake the pastry and profiteroles for 30 minutes until golden and risen.
12. Meanwhile, place the caster sugar in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat the sugar until dissolved into a syrup then bring to the boil without stirring and cook until the mixture caramelises, turning a light golden colour.
13. Dip the freshly baked profiteroles in the liquid caramel, then invert them and place them on a lined baking sheet to cool.
14. Meanwhile, gently fold the whipped cream and crème patissiere together and mix in the Grand Marnier if using.
15. Using a piping bag, Fill the profiteroles using some of the whipped cream mixture and fill the main cake with the remainder.
16. Place the caramel-glazed profiteroles around the diameter of the pastry disc, reserving 3 for the centre. Serve.
Rate This Recipe