- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 5 sheets of filo pastry
- 225 g butter, melted
- 150 g walnuts, coarsely chopped plus extra to decorate
For the syrup:
- 350 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp orange flower water
1. To make the syrup, dissolve the sugar and water in a medium size saucepan and add the lemon juice and the orange flower water.
2. Place the pan on a high heat and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until it turns into glossy syrup. Leave to cool down.
3. Set the oven to 220°C/gas 8. Grease a round baking dish. Brush each sheet of filo with a little melted butter.
4. Layer the pieces of pastry on to the baking tray making a star shape. Place some of the walnuts in the centre. Fold each corner of pastry into the centre, then turn it upside down on the tray.
5. Pour the rest of the melted butter over them, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden. Take it out of the oven and turn over.
6. Pour the cold syrup over the hot pastry and allow it to soak well. Decorate with chopped walnuts and serve cold.
Rate This Recipe