- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes for the croutons
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- half cucumber, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 kg tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- small bunch leaves basil
- small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- small bunch tarragon, chopped
- black pepper
- 1 slices stale white bread, crusts removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- crushed ice
For the croutons:
- 3 slices of bread, crusts removed
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
For the vegetable garnish:
- 4 tomatoes, cut into small dice
- half green peppers, cut into small dice
- half red peppers, cut into small dice
- half cucumber, cut into small dice
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 stick celery
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh herbs, (e.g. parsley, basil, tarragon), finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1. Place the chopped pepper, onion, cucumber and celery for the soup into a large container or bowl.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and pour over the wine, sherry vinegar, garlic and chopped herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Leave to marinade for about 2 hours in the fridge.
3. Meanwhile, make the croutons. Cut the bread into 1cm dice and gently fry in a little olive oil until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper, then store in an airtight container until required.
4. To finish the soup, blitz the marinated vegetable mixture in a food processor until smooth. Break the stale bread into chunks and add this to the processor. Blitz again until the soup has a smooth consistency, then chill.
5. Just before serving, stir the olive oil into the soup. Put the ice into a clean food processor and blitz very briefly until slightly crushed. Place a little ice into each serving bowl and pour over the chilled soup. Serve immediately with the vegetable dice, herbs, croutons and chopped boiled egg.
Rate This Recipe