- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
For the gazpacho
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 840 g vine tomatoes, halved
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- flat leaf parsley
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
For the basil oil
- 1 small handfuls basil, leaves only
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the croutons
- 2 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
Tips and Suggestions
Try using wholemeal bread instead of white. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
1. For the gazpacho: Soak the bread slices in enough cold water to soften, then squeeze out and discard the excess liquid. Place in a food processor along with tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, parsley, half the onion, half the pepper and all but a handful of the cucumber. Blend until smooth.
2. Transfer to a large bowl, add 200ml of cold water and season to taste. Stir, then chill for an hour.
3. For the basil oil: place the basil in the processor and whiz until roughly chopped. With the motor still running, gradually add the olive oil until smooth and combined, then set aside.
4. For the croutons: Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, coat with the oil, season well and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove and allow to cool.
5. In a small bowl, mix the remaining cucumber, red pepper and onion, then stir in the croutons.
6. Serve the chilled soup in large cups or bowls, top with a spoonful of the crouton mixture and a drizzle of the basil oil.
Rate This Recipe