- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli
- 2 slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 pinches ground aniseed
- 5 tomatoes, 2 quartered
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 500 g smoked mackerel fillet
- 6 dried snails, (optional)
- 2 red chillies, chopped, for garnish
1. In a food processor blend together the onion, Scotch bonnet chilli and ginger into a paste.
2. Pour one and a half litres of water into a large saucepan. Add the onion paste and bring to the boil.
3. Add the aniseed and 3 whole tomatoes. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
4. After 10 minutes, remove the tomatoes. Skin the tomatoes, discarding the skin, and pound them in a mortar. Sieve the tomatoes to remove the seeds and add the sieved tomato to the soup.
5. Bring the soup to the boil and cook briskly for 2 minutes. Add the fish sauce, smoked mackerel and snails. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Garnish the soup with the quartered tomatoes and chopped chillies and serve.
Rate This Recipe