- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 350 g lean minced pork
- 100 g carrots, grated
- zest of 2 lemons
- 50 g sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 75 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 small egg, beaten
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium aubergines, chopped into a small dice
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 50 ml water
- 350 g shop-bought fresh tomato sauce
- 200 ml red wine
- soured cream
- chives, chopped
- mashed potato
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. In a large bowl mix together the pork mince, grated carrot, lemon zest, sun-dried tomatoes, chives, fresh white breadcrumbs and beaten egg. Season with salt and generous amounts of freshly ground pepper.
3. Shape the mixture into 8-12 balls, place on a roasting tray and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the goulash sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow pan. Stir in the aubergine and cook for 5 minutes over a high heat, stirring constantly.
5. Add the sweet smoked paprika, mixing well, and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Stir in the water, fresh tomato sauce and red wine. Bring up to the boil then gently simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Serve the meatballs with the smoked goulash sauce topped with a little soured cream and chopped chives and with mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe