- Serves: Makes approximately 3 litres
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 24 hrs standing
- Effort: easy
- 1 lemon, skin and pith removed, flesh sliced
- 560 g caster sugar
- 15 g ginger, bruised
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2.5 litres boiling water
- 1/2 tbsp brewers yeast
1. Place the sliced lemon, sugar, ginger and cream of tartar in a bowl and pour in the boiling water.
2. Leave on one side, until it has cooled down to lukewarm. Stir in the yeast.
3. Cover the bowl and set aside in a warm place for 24 hours.
4. Skim off any visible yeast from the surface, and strain the liquid, leaving behind any sediment in the bottom of the bowl. Pour the liquid into sterilised bottles.
5. Secure the bottles with lids and leave the ginger beer to stand for 2 days before drinking.
Rate This Recipe