- Serves: 2 as a starter
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 scallops, in their shells
- 1 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander
For the topping
- 6 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 500 ml groundnut oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, shredded
1. With a sharp chopping knife, prise open the scallop shells, and wash them with cold running water - discarding the coral if you'd prefer.
2. In a small bowl, combine the chilli, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce and coriander.
3. Place the scallops on a heatproof plate, and spoon over one teaspoon of the dressing. Set the plate on a bamboo steamer.
4. Half-fill a wok with boiling water and rest the bottom of the steamer over the wok, making sure it doesn't touch the water. Cover with a lid and steam the scallops for 5-6 minutes.
5. While they're steaming, deep fry the shallots and garlic in hot oil until crisp (it should take less than a minute). Pour the oil through a sieve, reserving the browned shallots and garlic, and drain on absorbent paper.
Rate This Recipe