- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- black pepper
- 1 fresh breadfruit
- 1 large ripe medium avocado
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 15 g diced red peppers
- 15 g diced yellow peppers
- 15 g diced green peppers
- small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 250 g very fresh tuna, (sushi grade)
- 30 g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Quarter the breadfruit and drop into the water. Cook the breadfruit for 30 minutes; drain and cool.
2. Peel away the outside skin of the breadfruit. Cut the middle away, leaving about 2.5cm of the flesh between the skin and the heart. Dice the flesh into 2.5cm cubes.
3. Peel and de-seed the avocado and dice into 2.5 cm cubes.
4. Combine the breadfruit and avocado in a bowl with the garlic, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the wine vinegar, the red, yellow and green pepper and chopped parsley. Mix well and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cover and chill until serving.
5. Season the tuna with salt and freshly ground pepper and rub with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Coat the tuna in the chopped ginger.
6. Heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan until almost smoking hot. Sear the tuna for 1 minute on each side.
7. Remove the seared tuna and slice into six even-sized slices.
8. Layer the breadfruit salad on a serving plate. Fan out the tuna slices on the salad and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe