- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus at least 20 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
- grated zest and juice of 1 limes
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 large duck breast, skin removed
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped, for garnish
For the sticky aubergine stir-fry:
- 1 kg aubergines
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Thai basil, to garnish
- fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
1. First prepare the ginger grilled duck. Combine the lime zest and juice, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and salt in a small bowl.
2. Cut deep criss-cross scores in the duck flesh and place in a shallow oven dish.
3. Brush the scored surface of the duck with the lime juice mixture and marinate the duck in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the grill to high. Brush the marinated duck with the honey and grill for 7 minutes on each side, turning and basting or until the duck is cooked and slightly pink in the middle.
5. Meanwhile, cook the sticky aubergine stir-fry. Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, then slice in half again and crosswise into wedges.
6. Heat a wok over high heat and add in the peanut and sesame oils, tilting the wok to coat all sides with the oils.
7. Add in the aubergine wedges and stir-fry until seared and sticky, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, remove from the wok and set aside.
8. Add the spring onion, ginger, garlic, and chilli to the wok, stir-fry for 1 second then add in the soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar.
9. Add the aubergine back to the wok, tossing quickly, until the sauce is absorbed.
10. Garnish the aubergine with the sesame seeds, Thai basil, and coriander.
11. Garnish the duck with the coriander and serve with the aubergine stir-fry.
Rate This Recipe