- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 butternut squash, large
- 2.5 cm ginger, grated
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 pinches freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 clove garlic, sliced
- 1.5 tbsp fennel seeds
- 12 rashers pancetta or bacon
- 120 g rocket, or watercress sprigs
- 2 tbsp verjuice, or white wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Halve the butternut squash length ways and scoop out the seeds. Slice thickly across the width, into pieces that are roughly 1 cm thick. Remove the rind.
3. Place the butternut squash slices in a roasting tin with the ginger and 3 of the bay leaves, and then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Drizzle over 5 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss so that the butternut squash is well coated. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Put the cherry tomatoes into a separate small baking dish or roasting pan. Add the remaining olive oil, half the garlic, the remaining bay leaf and the fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper and turn the tomatoes so that they are coated in oil.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the squash from the oven. Add the remaining garlic; turn the squash and lay the pancetta over the top. Return the squash to the oven and put the tomatoes in the oven too. Roast them both for 20 minutes, until tender and cooked through.
7. Serve the roasted vegetables with a rocket salad.
Rate This Recipe