- Serves: Makes approx 15 slices
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 230 g plain flour, sifted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 230 g unsalted butter, softened
- 115 g light soft brown sugar
- 60 g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp treacle
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 60 g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
For the frosting
- 270 g icing sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 120 g cream cheese, cold
- 1 tsp ginger
1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a brownie tin that is approximately 18x24cm or 21cm square tin.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and spices into a large bowl and mix with a spoon.
3. In another bowl, use a handheld electric mixer to cream together the softened butter and sugars, until pale. Add the treacle and mix well.
4. Gradually add the eggs and to the butter and sugar, incorporating a little of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
5. Fold the dry ingredients into the mix, adding the crystallised ginger towards the end.
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the cake starts to come away from the sides and a skewer comes out clean.
7. For the frosting: Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Rub the softened butter into the icing sugar using the back of a wooden spoon. Do the same with the cream cheese.
8. Once the icing sugar has been incorporated, whisk with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Want to see more? Take a look at 100s more of our cake recipes.
Rate This Recipe